Monday 5 January 2009

Monday!

It's been a cold but beautiful day at Hollyford today. I've missed the view, things are changing in the countryside. Marky Mark was feeling the cold after his month in the sunshine - ha ha, no sympathy! It was so good to see him.



We got the roof on the little shed and sorted it out so that tonight there's Hollyford clay slip drying out in a makeshift rack. There's still a lot to do, but at least the clay prep now has a designated space.



There was quite a bit of work in progress left covered in polythene over the festive period, so I had slipping to do today too.



This is a black slip, I'll pour a green slip over it tomorrow. Looks like the slip needs to be sieved, there are a few extra little lumps on there that shouldn't be, oh well, you don't get much for free these days.



This jug had a coat of black slip last year, then a covering of white slip today, with a floral design drawn through to reveal the layer beneath.



There were two puzzle jugs under wraps too. My head was a bit all over the place just before Christmas, I really should have finished these then, but I was so burned out and in need of a break after last year's busy schedule, that I just wrapped them up in poly bags and left them. I assembled them today and they'll get their holes and deco tomorrow.

Now I need to make a lot of pots very quickly - two weeks to make a kiln load of pots, so busy busy with some urgency. I feel more inspired than I did last week, hopefully the sight on new wet pots on the shelves tomorrow will get me excited and thus, motivated - it has to!



And speaking of shelves, this picture is for my buddy Paul Jessop. He's been asking how different potters go about sorting out their shelving. Mine is very simple, just shelves with short boards of about 3'6" in length that I slide on to my racks. There's little point in me having longer boards, my workshop isn't wide enough to safely manoeuvre anything with more length - plus it saves me straining my poor old back. As the shelves are solid, the boards are just half inch chipboard and that works fine. I also use a lot of little square boards or bats onto which I put individual pots.

Well, it's good to be back, new pots tomorrow I hope - jugs probably, why not just for a change? - wooohoo, catch you later!

6 comments:

klineola said...

Looks great Doug! I met with Brad Lail today and he told me about his stay with you. And I drooled over the slipware book. It quickly climbed to the top of the list for acquisitions! I almost have enough in my google ads account. Hehehe.

I hope to visit you'all someday.
Be well in the New Year. Best wishes to your family as well!

doug Fitch said...

MK, I'd love it if you could make it over here some time. I think Ron is going to make it here this summer which will be really exciting.

I hope Brad makes it back over here some time too.

That Slipware book's wonderful isn't it? I need to buy myself a new copy, I look at it on ebay every day(there are a lot of copies on ebay uk), but can't justify spending just now - but soon. Best wishes to you and yours MK. Who knows I may even get brave enough to venture out of little England and come and see you some time!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr cool dude Fitch,09 will treat you just fine. You know you make the best earthenware pots in England!

Clay Perry said...

great work, as usual!

Paul Jessop said...

Happy Potting Doug, Great to see new pots from you streight away this year, thanks for the shelf pics and info, I'm pretty much decided on my game plan now.
Anonymous is right you do make the best Earthernware pots in England.
and it's great you share them with us. it gives us something to aim for.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

much the same here--I didn't do much for several days but then jumped back in Sunday and Monday with greatly renewed vigor, esp. with the pressure of Christmas orders behind me.