Thursday 4 April 2013

On the way

Well the journey's underway. My good friend Frank drove me to Bristol Airport at 5 am. I'm now waiting in Amsterdam for my connection to Tokyo. It's been fairly straightforward so far, just a short and comfortable flight. The next stretch is going to be the long one. When I get off the plane in Tokyo, I have to take an hour and a half train journey to my destination. It's all a bit daunting for a country boy who only went on the London tube alone for the first time last summer, but it's time i grew up a bit, so I relish the challenge. I'll be staying for five nights in Tokyo, then a couple of nights somewhere yet to be decided, then the last two nights in Kyoto. I'm hoping to visit Mashiko to visit Ken Matsuzaki. It's strange to be all on my own. Off  to find a cup of 'normal' tea before I leave the continent, bye for now.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Luck Doug. I share your unease of venturing out into the World at large! Have a great trip. Go grab that bull by the horns, obviously after a nice cuppa.

Dennis Allen said...

Keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will be fine.What an honor this is.Enjoy every minute of it.

Sandy Miller said...

You my dear are a rock star!!! Blow the dust off your passport and Godspeed! The catalog is brilliant! I predict Japan will embrace you. Don't forget to breath...... It's an adventure! Your work is wonderful! Wishing you the very best!

cookingwithgas said...

The catalog is amazing. My favorite picture of all is the one of just you. It is perfect.

emma said...

Flying is dull, try to sleep. I always find a McDonald's do real-ish tea everywhere in the world. Enjoy your adventure. It's like Tintin moment. x

Peter said...

How wonderful that you are updating the blog whilst on your great adventure! We'll all be thinking of you and cheering you on! You might find that you actually enjoy green tea!

Alex said...

what an adventure, good luck and have a great time.

Anna M. Branner said...

What a grand adventure! Know you will have a blast.

Unknown said...

Have a wonderful journey! I look forward to your updates and photos :)

Trish said...

So exciting Doug..
Safe journey, wonder-filled moments, and memories made to you!
:)

Anonymous said...

Good luck

Tim

Susan Sharpe said...

Have a great time, safe journey too.

Susan